Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Men We Carry In Our MInds

In Scott Russell Sanders essay " The Men We Carry In Our Minds" shows that women are perceived as a stay at home mom, a housewife, or even a trophy wife, and shows the men as the male bread winner and how the men in our lives or in our minds strive to be the best and to make sure that their family is financially stable. I disagree to an extent only because during the 1940's through the 1960's was a different timeline in the world for women because now woman have the equal opportunity to a career and to a steady income. Granted that some women still like to be a stay at home mom or a trophy wife, they still have the ability to fulfill their dreams for what they perceive in life and in their families. Ever since I turned 16 my parents told me I needed to get a job, I love that I can consider myself as independent. My parents are both hardworking and share everything, well mostly everything. Sanders describe the men as super hard working, when they are farmers, coal miners, and working on assembly lines, but he doesn't state anything about the women except that they are jealous of what the men in their lifetime have accomplished when the women couldn't even say they had an education. If my mom and I were to be stripped of all our opportunities life for us would be lost because we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves if my dad had to provide everything for our family.

3 comments:

  1. Is it fair to suggest that all the women are envious of what the men have? Sanders describes women at the univerity who were jealous of what their executive fathers had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that you had solid points and really followed what Sander's had to say. I didn't really find and fallacies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. U had a point about how life was like back then Compared to now. But you trailed off from the whole out look of the essay which is specifically talking about that day and age.

    ReplyDelete